Ask yourself the following questions. If you answer “yes” to three or more of these questions, you could have a hearing problem and may need to have your hearing checked by an audiologist.
- Do I have a problem hearing on the telephone or cell phone?
- Do I have trouble hearing when there is background noise present?
- Is it hard for me to follow a conversation when two or more people talk at the same time?
- Do I have to strain to understand a conversation?
- Do many people I talk to seem to mumble (or not speak clearly)?
- Do I misunderstand what others are saying and respond inappropriately?
- Do I often ask people to repeat themselves?
- Do people complain that I turn the TV volume up too high?
Common signs of hearing loss
- Listening to television or radio at a higer volume.
- Muffled sounds, asking people to repeat themselves.
- Difficulty understanding/following what people are saying – especially in the presence ofbackground noise.
- Avoiding social situations due to the stress of being unable to communicate properly.
- Exhaustion after attending social events and straining to hear for several hours.